Friday, October 24, 2014

The value of growing up in a small village

   


    More and more I read about teenagers in big cities and their accelerated lives, their superficial principles, their loss of values. Then I compare my childhood with theirs. The truth is that I have had a wonderful childhood and, in part, I owe it to the life in my small village. So I would like to share with you about the small village lifestyle.

    When I wake up in the serenity of the village life, I think "it is a blessing to grow up in the tranquility of a village." Nothing compares with the outdoor games; the bike rides in the street, the neighborhood friends who gather every afternoon after school, the meetings in the town square or the summers spent in the river. In other words, all the activities that involve the simplest and more traditional ways of sharing with friends.  Here childhood takes place along with the solidarity of the neighborhood as well as other significant values ​​that seem lost in the daily life of the city today.
   
    Everything serves to play and share with friends, from a stone to play hopscotch on the floor to a ball or doll. On the streets you can still hear the voices of children playing until the sun sets. Some of them go shopping by bike; others are playing football with makeshift goal-frames until early hours in the evening.

    What is more, most of us know each other, there is a community value so we always help each other when we are in need. There is a strong relationship among the villagers.

The truth is that big cities and small towns have their apparent but differing pros and cons when it comes to raising children. Big cities traditionally contain diverse populations and access to museums and research institutions anyway I would choose small villages to raise children. Small villages may sound boring; there may not be enough options to entertain or things to do; however life there involves learning values such as solidarity, friendship among others. 

     Once I heard an African proverb “It takes a village to raise a child”.  It was made popular by Hillary Clinton during her campaign for the Presidential nomination. Whatever the source is, those like I who were raised in small communities know the treasured value of being raised in a village – a close-knit community where children stand out for their innocence and purity. Today I would say that the urban world revolves around money, violence, selfishness whereas small village lifestyle revolves around the community and values. Life in a village may not be that funny but there you learn unforgettable values that seem to be lost in other places, and I think that it is more important than any other thing in world. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Aww Flor I loved your post! I lived in a neighbourhood in San Juan until I turn 10 then I moved here, and what I remember the most are the afternoons playing in the street with all the kids that lived there until the sun set, as you said. I didn't spend the whole afternoon watching TV but riding bikes, playing football or "ladron y policía", hide and seek, dancing and listening to the Backstreet Boys haha. So, I agree with you. I would not change the tranquility of a small village or a neighbourhood, and the values you learn there such as sharing with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Cin. Yes, for me nothing compares with the lifestyle in a small village. I feel identified with what you say, I also used to play hide and seek, "ladron y policía" and other games. As you say, we spend our time playing outside and it was more healthy. We didn´t spend all the time indoors playing with machines or videogames. I really enjoyed those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Flor!! Loved your post! I have to say that I dont know if I would survive in a small town due to my personality haha However, I grew up in San Rafael which is not that of a big town. I have a friend who's also a teacher and she is from BA. Her younger brother who is 13 is so happy to have moved here because he can finally play in the streets and ride his bike freely at night, if he feels like it, which is sth he was not able to do in BA. Also, your post reminded me of my childhood when we had no netbooks, no Ipods or even cell-phones and we were happy playing with marbles, a ball or a spin....well, and sometimes dolls. hahaha. Nice post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post, Flor. You describe life in a small village as such a wonderful experience! Nevertheless, I disagree that only small villages provide this calm way of life. I have lived my entire life in a neighbourhood on the outskirts and could enjoy all of those wonderful activities. Hide and seek, tag, hopskotch, "un, dos, tres, cigarrilo 43" and even doing houses on trees were part on my daily life as a child. For what Cinthya and Maitén narrate, we've had a similar experience during our childhood and it's great. I remember that we made use of any object available to create tools or toys and I feel sad for kids nowadays because most of them are not even allowed to play outside their houses.

    ReplyDelete